At Aylmer Becker Campion we aim to help our clients avoid disputes but when they arise, we aim to provide timely, cost-effective advice on how to manage and resolve issues of conflict and dispute. Clients may consult us about making a complaint or claim against another person or institution or they may need to respond to a complaint or claim made against them.
Our lawyers take time to meet with and listen to our client first, take a detailed history and review relevant documents and records to gain a complete understanding of the issues at stake for the client, before giving substantive advise about their options and the best process available to them to have the matter resolved, whether by dialogue, negotiation, ombudsman service, tribunal, arbitration, court litigation, mediation or other alternative process.
Sometimes it is necessary to represent clients in judicial or court proceedings, for example when a business client is dealing with a product liability injuries claim* which has not resolved in the PIAB process and proceedings have been issued and served on them; or because they did not consult us for advice when a letter before action first arrived.
Even after judicial proceedings have been issued and served on our client, we will always discuss and advise on alternative resolution options, as required by law, to avoid whenever possible, the stress, uncertainty, financial and time cost of dealing with and defending judicial proceedings.
Highlights in contentious practice:
- Representing a group of private clients in High Court professional negligence action to recover financial losses in the property sector.
- Representing a UK sub-contracting subsidiary of a global construction group in a series of arbitral and High Court Commercial actions to recover from a main contractor.
- Representing a global energy company in injunction proceedings against planning objectors.
- Representing a global transport company in a Parliamentary Inquiry.
- Representing a UK retail business in successfully prosecuting a Supreme Court appeal in a Revenue Appeal Commissioners’ decision on VAT liability.
- Representing a claimant in a landmark High Court employer’s liability action for damages for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in the retained organs Inquiry.
- Representing a client in the air transport sector in negotiating settlement of a claim arising out of an aircraft leasing agreement prior to entry into the High Court Commercial List.
- Representing an airline services company arresting a customer’s aircraft for breach of contract.
- Advising a global company on the insertion of an alternative dispute resolution clause into a major international commercial agreement.
- Advising a global environmental services company on making an open offer of mediation at the earliest opportunity following receipt of a product liability claim, leading to successful resolution through mediation.
- Representing persons infected with Hepatitis C and HIV seeking compensation through the Hep C Compensation Tribunal.
- Representing numerous clients seeking compensation for personal injury suffered in accidents at work, on the roads, in public places and as a result of medical accidents.
* In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement
What can we do for you?
Get in touch now for a consultation where we will provide you with a clear understanding of your legal situation. We are straight talkers and we promise we’ll never tell you what we think you want to hear.